Need help choosing the perfect canyon for you?
On our site you will find a wide choice of canyons and it is not always easy to decide which canyoning tour to book. Especially as a beginner, not having a good idea of what canyoning is like in Ticino, it can be difficult to decide which tour to tackle without first consulting us. The purpose of this article is to help you book the perfect tour based on your interests and psychophysical abilities!
To sum it all up we recommend the following tours during the high season (June, July, August):
And the following tours during the low season (April, May, September and October)
If the above suggestions are not enough for you and you want to be 100% sure to book the right canyon for you, we recommend you to read all the way through!
To choose the ideal canyon you must first take into consideration the following points:
- All the canyons that we offer on our website are very spectacular and famous for their beauty. We therefore advise you not to base your choice on the beauty of the canyon but to focus more on their difficulty 😉
- We are fortunate to have a wide choice of canyons of different levels in various regions of Ticino. Although it is not always easy, purelements® tries not to leave an ecological footprint that is too important and we therefore invite you to choose a canyon near your accommodation and which is preferably accessible by public transport.
- The canyons in Ticino are already quite demanding compared to those in other countries. In every tour, even in the tryout level one, there is at least one mandatory passage (if you want to tackle the whole canyon) of abseiling with the rope. The abseil with the rope is an easy discipline to learn and with the support of the guides it is carried out in total safety.
- Almost all the canyons in Ticino are very fun as they have many slides, several jumps and beautiful abseils! Jumps and slides are always optional. We always give the possibility to abseil with the rope. Having said that, we do not recommend booking a tour that is too difficult if you are not sure of being able to face the canyon in a serene way and without reaching your psychophysical limits. Surely it is better to book a tour that is a little easier but a lot of fun instead of finding yourself facing obstacles in more challenging canyons with fear or physical limitation that can lead to accidents and unpleasant surprises.
- If you’re booking a tour for friends, family, or a group make sure you book a tour that’s ideal for even the most cautious and least fit member.
We have divided our tours into three difficulty levels:
Within these three categories of difficulty there are obviously variations that depend on the canyon, the weather, the water level, the period and the client. It is therefore difficult to give a precise degree of difficulty because it can often also be subjective. There are those who prefer jumps, those who slide and those who abseil. Since the jumps and slides are always optional, the difficulty is based on the technical difficulty of the descent, the water level and the physical effort.
Below you will understand your level and your possible canyon:
- I’ve never done canyoning, I don’t do sports, I don’t like walking too much, I can get a little dizzy with heights but I would like to try canyoning for nature, fun and a bit of challenge ➡️ canyoning tryout Val Vira.
- I have never done canyoning, I have a fair physical condition, I can walk for 40 minutes without being out of breath, I have some respect for height and outdoor sports but I like the challenge and the fun ➡️ canyoning basic Corippo (best tour for beginners in Ticino).
- I have already done canyoning for beginners and I would like to repeat the same level ➡️ canyoning basic Riale di Mulitt (few slides, many abseils and jumps) or basic Malvaglia canyoning (few abseils, many jumps).
- I have already done basic canyoning and I would like to level up but not too much ➡️ canyoning pro Val Grande or canyoning pro Boggera.
- I have never done canyoning but I am very sporty, I don’t get dizzy and I like to go to the mountains ➡️ canyoning pro Val Grande or canyoning pro Boggera (strong turnout in July and August we do not recommend this canyon at the weekend during this period).
- I don’t like jumps and slides, I have a good physical condition, I don’t have dizziness and I like abseiling with the rope ➡️ canyoning pro Cugnasco.
- I’ve never done canyoning but I’m very sporty, I don’t have dizzines, I like going to the mountains and I already have a lot of experience in rappelling ➡️ canyoning pro Iragna (big jumps, big slides and big rappels), canyoning pro Giumaglio (big abseils, big jumps, no slides), canyoning pro Val di Gei (big abseils, big jumps, no slides).
- I have already done pro level tours and would like to level up but not too much ➡️ canyoning pro Iragna (big jumps, big slides and big rappels), canyoning pro Giumaglio (big abseils, big jumps, no slides), canyoning pro Val di Gei (big abseils, big jumps, no slides), canyoning expert Iragna (big jumps, big slides and big rappels).
- I have already done pro level tours, I am very sporty, I don’t have dizziness and I rappel very good but I do not like jumps and slides ➡️ canyoning expert Riale delle Palme (Progero).
- I have already done pro or expert level tours, I am very sporty, I am vertigo free, I rappel very well and I love jumps and high slides ➡️ canyoning expert Iragna , canyoning expert Lodrino, canyoning expert Malvaglia.
Have you already done all the tours listed above? No problem, Ticino has more than 200 canyons and I’m sure we can find one for you too! Maybe our Private Guide product is the right thing for you 😉
Not all tours are bookable throughout the season. Beginning of the season (April-June) the outside and water temperatures can still be very cold and with the melting of the snow in the mountains the water level can still be too high or increase during the day. Late season (September-October) temperatures drop again but the water level is usually lower than in spring.
Beginning and end of the season, even if we have good two-piece wetsuits (5mm), under wetsuits (2mm), footwear (5mm) and neoprene gloves (5mm) it is still more pleasant and safe to go to sunny canyons with a level of water not too high.
Below we have drawn up a list of canyons that we recommend based on the period of the season:
- April: Canyoning basic Riale di Mulitt – Canyoning pro Boggera – Canyoning expert Riale delle Palme (Progero).
- May: Canyoning basic Riale di Mulitt -Canyoning basic Malvaglia – Canyoning pro Boggera – Canyoning expert Riale delle Palme (Progero).
- June: Canyoning basic Corippo – Canyoning pro Boggera – Canyoning pro Val Grande – Canyoning expert Iragna – Canyoning expert Malvaglia.
- July: Canyoning basic Corippo – Canyoning pro Val Grande – Canyoning pro Iragna – Canyoning expert Iragna – Canyoning expert Lodrino.
- August: Canyoning basic Corippo – Canyoning pro Val Grande – Canyoning pro Iragna – Canyoning expert Iragna – Canyoning expert Lodrino.
- September: Canyoning basic Corippo (until mid-September) – Canyoning pro Val Grande (until mid-September) – Canyoning pro Boggera – Canyoning pro Iragna – Canyoning expert Iragna – Canyoning expert Lodrino (until mid-September) – Canyoning expert Malvaglia.
- October: Canyoning basic Riale di Mulitt – Canyoning basic Malvaglia – Canyoning pro Boggera – Canyoning expert Riale delle Palme.